Organised through the Salvation Army National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander National Reference Group
Purpose of trip:
- To introduce participants to Aboriginal and Salvation Army history in the area, recalling that the Salvation Army was there before and can come back again.
- As we travel, to listen and learn from Uncle Vince Ross and Aunty Enid Ross, to share in conversation and in times of reflection.
- To experience Aboriginal culture and spirituality firsthand, becoming spiritually enriched, challenged and inspired along the way.
- To gain impressions for positive ways forward in ministries with Aboriginal people.
- To deepen our understanding of Uncle Vince and his particular impact as a Salvationist and Aboriginal person over many years.
- To record some of the activities and conversations for future resource.
Proposed Itinerary and activities: [further information later on]
Friday 6 October
Morning: Depart Melbourne for Shepparton - cultural connection, lunch & conversation at Rumbalara Aged Care
Afternoon: Arrive at Deniliquin for presentation by ‘Yarkuwa’ (Land Council). Yarkuwa is a Traditional Owner organisation based in Deniliquin. We will visit the Flats (Aboriginal reserve), hear about early day Salvation Army here and Uncle Vince’s experiences , with time for reflection and sacred moments.
Evening: Meal and overnight stay in Deniliquin
Saturday 7 October
Morning: Travel to Balranald, birthplace of Uncle Vince. Learn of history and cultural connections.
Afternoon- Evening: Arrive in Mildura with meal and overnight stay
(More information to follow on local Aboriginal connection and ministry)
Sunday 8 October
Morning: Participate in Mildura Salvation Army meeting, depart after lunch.
Afternoon-Evening: Arrive at Swan Hill. Debrief and reflection on our experiences.
Meal and overnight stay. This place over many years had a strong ministry with the local Koori community.
Monday 9 October
Travel to Kerang. Learn of history and cultural connections.
Lunch stop along the way (to be arranged)
Late afternoon: Arrive in Melbourne back and ready for action!
Costs for the trip:
These are still being determined.
Complete details will be provided as soon as possible.
Marion Weymouth 0487 922 789
Vince Ross 0417 310 365
WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPDATES!