Suggestions for recognising and participating in Refugee Week: June 15th – 21st 2014.
- Acknowledge Refugee Week in a Sunday service on either Sunday June 15th or Sunday June 21st by using a responsive prayer available here
- Read or view Emmaline Rabbit during the children’s story in a Sunday service. Emmaline Rabbit can be watched online here. A hard copy can be purchased for $7 from Just Salvos.
A LITTLE MORE EFFORT
- Ask members of your congregation to donate items from the following list and organise care packs for refugees recently settled in Australia. Contact your Divisional Headquarters for a list of locations in need of care packs.
- Baby wipes
- Sanitary items
- Tooth paste
- Non-perishable food items.
- Use stories to share the experiences of refugees and asylum seekers. Invite a refugee to share their experience during a church service, or see Onfire (June 14th edition) for additional narratives.
- Connect with other churches in your community and see what they might be organising. Offer to partner with what they are already doing.
- Attend the rally
- Educate members of your church regarding the experiences of many asylum seekers and refugees.
- Myth buster fact sheets are available for download here: We recommend the 1st or 3rd download.
- Information on visas can be found here:
- Hold a breakfast or brunch and invite a speaker to highlight issues faced by refugees and asylum seekers internationally and within Australian.
- Host a screening of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.
- Arrange for children in your congregation to become pen pals with children in detention. For more information visit http://www.julianburnside.com.au/letters2.htm