Understand motivation for volunteering
People volunteer for a variety of reasons and the motivation could change over time.
A volunteer may begin to fulfil study requirements and stay to gain experience in their field, then continue volunteering to serve the community or maintain relationships.
- Ask your volunteer why they like to volunteer.
- Try to satisfy the motivation if practical.
- Read the VR Management Handbook (pg 35-41) for ideas
People volunteer to:
- to develop their skills
- serve the community
- make friends
- fulfil Centrelink obligations or study requirements
- gain experience
- serve God
- Utilise their skills and feel valuable
- make contacts in the sector
- other reasons
Volunteer Engagement Management Handbook V2